Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Remembering Ramadan

I remember when I first tried to fast during the month of Ramadan. I think I was about twelve years old. I endured the whole day at school, without food or water. But when I arrived home, the kitchen’s aroma lured me in. I used to sneak in and taste the delicious foods bubbling in the pots. I remember my older cousin making me stick out my tongue to check if there was any discoloration other than my whitish buds. I remember sitting around the table with my mother, sisters, aunts…we were all bumbling about, rearranging the loaded dishes and distributing the salad beforehand. I used to watch some of my cousins pinching their dates, waiting for the trigger. Alas, the prayer sounded and we all fell silent as we dug in, slurping our soothing soup and gobbling fried finger foods left and right before the meaty rice course. When the ambush was over, we sat back, satisfied, bellies full, looking around, sharing the moment of satisfied silence.
Happy Ramadan everyone :)

at 7:39 AM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger bo_ghazi posted at 10:04 AM  
    Happy Ramadan to you too :)
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:09 AM  
    Bo_Ghazi: :D *wave*
  3. Blogger 3baid posted at 11:20 AM  
    Imbarek 3alaich ishahar :)
  4. Blogger Blossom posted at 12:56 PM  
    Happy Ramadan :)
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:27 PM  
    3baid: 3alaina oo 3alaik :)

    Blossom: U2 :)
  6. Blogger Mama Fusla posted at 8:03 PM  
    Erzulie
    Happy Ramadan. Well written, keep itup.
  7. Blogger Sou posted at 9:43 PM  
    Kol sana wenti tayeba hun!!! :D

    You were 12 when you first started fasting? What did you feel, ya3ni was it super hard, or was it easy to cope? I don't remember what it was like when i first started fasting, i've been doing it for so long *feels ancient*

    *sigh* hehe..

    Ramadan Kareem Erzulie! :*
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:35 PM  
    Mama Fusla: Thanx :) Happy Rammy 2u2! :P

    $&!: Hehe, I was a late faster *blush* I never felt hungry but I remember always being tempted by the floating plates stacked with foods :P 3alaina oo 3alaich Dahlin' :)
  9. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 12:08 AM  
    Lol! You reminded me of something. Did anyone use I forgot and drank water excuse?
  10. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:10 AM  
    Delicately Realistic: Well sometimes you literally forget you're fasting because you become mesmorized by the piled platters in front of you so you instinctively gorge on the food ahead of time :P
  11. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:21 PM  
    Pedro: Thanks :)

    Heartbeat: Hehe, I'm always there for the food :P

Post a Comment

« Home