Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Multi-Tasking Nation

I wandered into our university’s gym one day and scanned the sweaty arena for an empty treadmill. After spotting a vacant machine, I sauntered towards it, swinging my handy, music collection in one hand and a scruffy towel in the other. After jogging on the rolling floor for a while, I looked around to see students huffing and puffing as they were simultaneously reading a textbook, listening to music, and running and/or hastily stepping on the Stair-Master whilst grabbing an occasional sip from their water bottle.

I am amazed by these people who can do three and sometimes four things at once. I have tried reading while jogging but the words blur as I jump from one foot to the next. Sometimes, I fling my headset on the floor because of the jumble of thoughts racing through my head. How can these people do it?

And it’s not only exercise. Lunch breaks consist of a mere ten minutes spent at one’s desk, wolfing down a bland sandwich while typing emails with greasy tips. Relaxing baths occur once in a blue moon; jumping in and out of a five minute shower is the usual routine to bodily cleanliness. People are ecstatic about their long, four day break that sadly has amounts of work related phone calls and messages exchanged with the real, grim, fast-paced world that awaits their return.

Yes, we all have to work. And we’re all searching for comfortable happiness. But we keep overlooking one factor that balances work and happiness, and that is appreciation.

PS DJ Shadow - In/Flux
PPS Emiliana Torrini - Telepathy

at 6:52 AM

8 Comments

  1. Blogger Shurouq posted at 9:13 AM  
    Erzulie,
    I'd read & text-message while driving.. with the music on of course.
    One of my stupid habits.

    Reading this post will remind me to keep my reading material in the trunk.
    Thank you.
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:22 AM  
    Shurouq: Ah that's very dangerous Shurouq. One time in Kuwait, I was driving and answered the phone; I looked down for one second and almost ran into the car in front of me. Cell phones and cars don't mix. Be careful. And oh, I stopped by your post today; sorry about your leave. I hope everything in your life will settle back into place :) Take care...
  3. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:44 PM  
    McArabian: Haha, I know. I go to the gym at around 11 pm...I like to have the place to myself. Plus, I make to much noise stomping on the 'mill.
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:44 PM  
    7tenths: Hehe, that was very informative. I sometimes find myself watching TV while exercising, and I too end up watching some flimsy comedic skit such as 'Blind Date' or another weightless show. The only time I sms in the car is when I'm waiting for the traffic light to turn green. I CANNOT study with people in the room, music, any sort of noise; it's just me, my books, and an occasional cup of coffee.
  5. Blogger 3baid posted at 2:41 AM  
    "How can these people do it?"

    I have no idea! I personally can only focus at one thing at a time and give it my full attention. I take as long as I need too. :/
  6. Blogger Erzulie posted at 5:20 AM  
    3baid: Yeah I mean I think I CAN do it but I don't really want to; I just feel that I won't be giving it my "all" if I do three things at once.
  7. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 3:29 AM  
    Ok, i admit, im another of those driving while smsing ppl. I know its dangerous. But i cant stop.

    As for reading while on the treadmill...i get all woozy and sick to my stomach. The same as reading while ur on a car/train (obviously not driving).
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:42 AM  
    DR: Hehe :) Well, I can read really well in planes...I don't watch the mini TV since I've watched most of the stuff anyway...

Post a Comment

« Home