Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Soulful Memories

I should be prepared to dodge virtual, flying tomatoes and other fruits for saying this but “Sister Act II” is one of my personal favorite movies that remind me of my childhood years. I especially love the soundtrack; I remember my sister and I used to rewind the cassette in her car, oohing and ahhing over the singers’ marvelous voices. Here’s a couple of tracks I want to share:

Right click & save as…

1- Oh Happy Day (mp3): This is probably my favorite song. I love how the singer is nervous at first, then after Whoopi’s initial “La la la la…” you can notice his voice gaining confidence. And listen to that high pitch in the middle; it always makes me smile. Personally, I love the last section of the song where he lets loose a little bit…

2- Joyful, Joyful (mp3): This is at the end of the movie where the group participates in the big gospel competition. Lauryn Hill is the opener for this hip-hop take on “Joyful, Joyful.” No comment regarding her spectacular vocal talents.

There are other songs like “Wake up & Pay Attention” and “His Eye is on the Sparrow, (mp3)” but I think these songs are one of the best on the soundtrack.

Speaking of my sister, here's a few tunes especially for her:
Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions - We're a Winner (mp3)
Jr. Walker & the Allstars - Shotgun (mp3)
Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music (mp3)
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools (mp3)
Tyrone Davis - Can I Change my Mind (mp3) i love this song...

at 11:09 AM

16 Comments

  1. Blogger The Stallion posted at 12:57 PM  
    Amazing post!
    I love both Sister Act movies and I know them by heart! I love Whoppi Goldbery and Edie Murphey movies!
  2. Blogger Ms. Sarah posted at 3:47 PM  
    QALADA!! i love that movie too! :p
  3. Blogger eshda3wa posted at 5:24 PM  
    no tomatoes here!
    i LOOVe sister act!
  4. Blogger Trevelyana posted at 4:50 PM  
    Love the music. The Police flashback down there had me twirling around my apartment at 8am. I'm gonna start swiping your stuff :)
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 3:37 PM  
    stallion: Hyper? :P~
    I like Sister Act II more than I, ironically enough considering that sequels are usually crap. I like Whoopi Goldberg in general; I especially like her off the wall character in "Ghost."

    swair: :))

    eshda3wa: great :)

    trevelyana: Twirl and swipe all you want. I live for twirling :P
  6. Blogger Kitty posted at 3:08 PM  
    nice blog
  7. Blogger K.thekuwaiti posted at 3:34 PM  
    He isn't hyper .. there are only three exclamation marks.

    I am actually a fan of the sister act movies .. long ago in a time when we found enjoyment and refuge in the repetition of films. Now we turn to drugs, alcohol and cheese.
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:12 PM  
    kitty: Thanx

    K: hehe :P~ and the first two may be effective tools of "transportation," but cheese? I miss the land of cheese :/
  9. Blogger K.thekuwaiti posted at 11:04 AM  
    Two words, cheese whiz.
  10. Blogger Unknown posted at 7:56 PM  
    Best movie EVER!!!

    oh, and nice one on "Chain of fools" ;)

    agool, u on facebook? if so, email me :)
  11. Blogger The Krispy Dixie posted at 7:57 PM  
    that was me in the previous comment by the way :P wrong account
  12. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:32 PM  
    K: That's a cheesy pun :P~ I think I just reiterated your line here though :P Actually, two words, Mars Cheese! :P~

    KD: Yeah but I think I'm shutting mine down :/ I'm not using it much anyway :/
  13. Blogger Dr.Lost posted at 5:41 PM  
    ummmm new post??!!! ;p
  14. Blogger Trevelyana posted at 10:30 PM  
    Hey, what'd you end up using to convert arabic music (rm or rem) to mp3?
    My music professor wants some arabic music.. oh oh! so he's like some hippie, Beatles and zepplin lover, and he goes "oh duuude, I looove abaaady, man I'd love to jam with that dude" on 3bady il johar.. if 3bady only knew :D
  15. Blogger f_ posted at 1:58 AM  
    -covers face in shame-
  16. Blogger Erzulie posted at 2:33 AM  
    Dr.Lost: Ee wallah it9adig... :P~~

    trevelyana: Hehehe, that's funny :P Well, I went to www.Mazikana.com and downloaded some stuff from there, mostly classic must-haves and none of that new, pop-ish crap. I also iTuned some songs, mostly Fairuz and other Arab (not so much "Gulfian") artists. Someone actually emailed me a LOOONG time ago after they read my post, providing a solution to the whole converting rams to mp3 problem. I followed the instructions on the email, downloaded a free software and ended up not knowing how to work it. I think I actually ended up recording the actual song, but that wasn't really clear. Yeah, here's a real-life techie. Anyhow...where was I. Yeah, just google "convert ram to mp3" and I am positive you'll get some decent results. It's not that hard of a process, I think...I hope! :P~

    fedo: Hehe, laaaish! :P~

Post a Comment

« Home