Sunday, December 05, 2010

Question of the day: Do pretty girls get a bad rap?


Before I ever met Jude*, I asked my friend about her, “How is she like?” My friend grew quiet for a minute, drew a deep breath before she replied apathetically, “She’s all right I suppose.” Naturally, I was curious about my friend’s not so reassuring response. After a few raised eyebrows and questioning looks, my friend sighed and said, “She’s just really arrogant and full of herself.” I remember thinking, “Oh well that’s too bad… before I accepted my friend’s opinion of Jude as the truth.


Many weeks went by before I finally got the chance to meet Jude. There were two things that I noticed about her: she was one of the prettiest girls I have ever seen in Kuwait and she did not have an arrogant bone in her body. Rather, she was down-to-earth, charming and at times, wonderfully quirky.


I know of many girls that fall right into the category Jude is in. They’re drop dead gorgeous women with a good head on their shoulders and admirable humility, elements that – when combined – make some people seethe with wild envy to the extent that they feel obliged to chip away at the girls’ wholesome package whether it is a snide comment about their so-called snobbish mannerisms or mentioning false information that concerns one’s private affairs and even worse, honor.


On the other hand, I know a few beautiful girls who cannot pass through doorways because of their swollen pretty heads. I also know average looking girls who, in my point of view, see as the most stunning people I’ve ever laid eyes on because of the goodness of their heart. Alternatively, I know shamelessly conniving homely girls with the coldest heart imaginable.


When I think about it now, I think I’ve heard far more untrue comments about the so-called snootiness of pretty girls than plain-Jane ones.


* Name changed for privacy


MP3’s for your years…

Tom Waits – Crazy ‘Bout My Baby

Eddie Floyd – Knock on Wood

Marvin Gaye – I Want to Come Home for Christmas

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing

at 8:30 AM

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home