Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why you do this to me Demi...why!

With the exception of animated movies a la Ice Age, I vowed to never step foot in Kuwait's movie theaters. I'll get to that later but yesterday, my sister asked me to come see the atrocious horror flick, The Haunting in Connecticut. It's the type of movie that you don't really have to watch to figure it all out. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it stunk. I went there mainly for the caramelized popcorn because it's been almost a year since I've had it.

Anyhow, the thing that really got to me is the spirit, ghost, demon or whatever it's called. Why are they always terrorizing the occupants of the household when really, the ghost wants everyone to help him/her out and be "set free" and/or wants the story of their never uncovered murder or what have you to be known to all? Why the destruction, manipulation, hallucinations, etc.? I mean, if I want to get something across, I wouldn't hurt the person I'm trying to get my message through to. I wouldn't slam doors or drawers, break a dish or play around with the lighting. That's just stupid.

Now that I think about it, the same thing happened with the idiotic ghost in Halle Berry's equally crappy movie, Gothika. I remember the ghost (I think it was a girl) tormenting Halle Berry's character. Why couldn't she, the ghost that is, just show up and say, "Hey, that dude killed me. Here's the evidence. So...what can we do? Can you help me out or...Oh, great thanks Halle's-character! Yeah *chuckles* I won't possess you don't worry!"

And there you have it!

I mean, ghosts were human beings once upon a time. Seems like once they cross on over to the other side they lose all sense of reason! I swear if I get a ghost who hassles me and ruins my day with mixed messages I won't try to figure his/her story out unless they settle the hell down and talk to me straight. I, however, wouldn't come to the ghost's aid if they like, hurl a lamp across my room. Supernatural tantrums will never work. Just tell it like it is, ghost!

The only ghost I sort of am sympathetic with is the chick in What Lies Beneath, mostly because I liked the movie. See, that's how they do it. I mean, I still theoretically don't like how the dead girl possessed Michelle Pfeiffer. There were some scary scenes in that one. But yeah, if the ghost is going to act like a jerk, maybe spin it the way it is in this film. Oh wait, and The Sixth Sense. Poor kid, had to see a lot before figuring it all out in the end. I guess the surprise element is more evident in the last two.

NB: The reason why I don't go to cinemas here is because it's a legalized rip-off. Now, say you get a pair of pants but they only give you ones with one leg. The other's just cut off. Either way, you have to pay full price for them. Same thing goes for movies here. They censor the films and make you pay full price (it actually went up from 2.5 to 3 KD). That's just not right.

MP3's...
Elizabeth & the Catapults - Race You such a playful, open-hearted song...
The Bilinda Butchers - This Love is F*cking Right (The Pains of Being Pure at Heart Cover)
Faunts - Feel.Love.Thinking.Of.
Radiohead - 15 Step
Lali Paluna - Scary World Theory



at 8:30 AM

7 Comments

  1. Anonymous Miss-Informed posted at 10:50 AM  
    It's all a scam. Recently movies like these come out to attract a big number of people because they advertise under the line of "based on true story".

    This one is allegedly based on the "real-accounts" of the Snedeker's family who claim their house was haunted but just like The Exorcist and company, they're all cooked stories.

    The writer of this movie said that he was told the following, "'You've got some of the story — just use what works and make the rest up... Just make it up and make it scary.'"

    Apparently the Snedekers heard of the success of the Lutz family of "The Amityville Horror" when their story was filmed and decided to make the extra cash themselves too by cooking up their own versions.

    It's all cheap horror flicks yet some viewers fall for it which explains why they continue sprouting them.
  2. Anonymous Swair posted at 1:33 PM  
    Yea, I don't like going to Kuwaiti movie theater's either..

    And I think the poor ghosts just happen to communicate like that.. So I think I'd communicate the same way..
    They throw a lamp at you? Throw a whole lamp store at them.. that kinda thing..

    I hate horror films :(
  3. Blogger Erzulie posted at 6:17 PM  
    miss informed: yup, agreed. well the first thing that i did (as i always do whenever i see a film that's "based on a true story") when i got home last night was google the movie up and find out the real-life inspiration behind it. i read about the snedekers and that linked over to the lutzs which, i think, have a better horror story to share. but that's the thing that's lacking in these type of movies: the story isn't very deep, interesting and intriguing. i guess that that's why sixth sense had more of an impact on me; it did have its moments where i found myself pinching the person sitting next to me, but then again, the ending was amazing.

    swair: well, i hope i don't come across a ghost that would behave that way. i think i would be a very courteous ghost. maybe i'd be a bit impatient because i want the person i'm communicating with to "get it" but i have to think about taking it slow because they might freak out and lose it and thus, i'd lose them and their possible help. i think i'm thinking too much about this. anyhow, at least i know how i'll be like if i join the casper clan.
  4. Blogger Dalal Arch posted at 1:36 AM  
    I like "The others"....
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 1:27 PM  
    dalal: yeah, the others was good. it was a taaaaaad bit too slow for me, but the ending was a good surprise.
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:34 PM  
    Tis Fee!
    I don't mind going to the cinema here. What I do mind, however, is how they cut-out all the "lovey dovey" scenes in a romantic comedy!

    A couple of days ago I went to go see the highly anticipated new Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock flick. A really good movie over-all, but what really pissed me off was how all the very important "first sparks of love" scenes were cut out! Pshhht!

    P.S ALOT of people keep comparing my sisters to Sandra bullock? You see any resemblance?
  7. Blogger Abi-Omi-Abi-Oboy posted at 2:38 PM  
    Meshkela el yahal ga3den eshofon ashya'a akhas w akhas thru the net.. Yat 3ala hal movies?...

    Ge6e3a sakhefen ! Yakhe 7e6aw ratings nafs baji el 3alam ! ;@

Post a Comment

« Home