Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winter Wonderland


Or not. People including myself are always in remembrance of the good old days, “When I was a kid we used to always spend time outdoors and never dawdle around in malls…” Everything always seemed better “back then” regardless of when that was. But there’s one thing that transcends (most) age groups, cultures and backgrounds: people’s talk about the weather. When I was in high school which was what, seven years ago (wow that is a while back) I remember my mom and I would take out my winter clothes including my thick, wool, navy coat which was the most ideal thing to wear on a chilly morning in November. But now, November came and went and I still find myself wearing my summer clothes to work with the exception of a shawl or a light cardigan.


I think by now everyone is aware of the effects of global warming. I see it as one step toward our doom, the umbrella being desire which I believe is the demise of humankind. My mother once told me, “Never begin a sentence with ‘I want…’” And it’s true. Fine, you can work toward your goals but don’t ever be blinded by them; always take a step back and appreciate what you already have, from family and friends, your education and overall security and well-being. If you don’t have any of the above, you should still be grateful because you’re alive and kicking and you still have a chance to do something worthwhile, something that doesn’t involve cruising around aimlessly in malls or watching TV for four hours straight. To me, the worst thing anyone can do in life is regret something, anything. I’d hate to think, “I could have done X if I hadn’t wasted my time watching reruns of Seinfeld.” Like everything, TV is good in small doses, especially if you had a long day at work.


Where was I?

Well whatever, I was somewhere.


Jazzy, Christmasy MP3's...

Sonny Rollins - Winter Wonderland

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Tannenbaum

Dexter Gordon - The Christmas Song

Ahmad Jamal - Snowfall

Wynton Marsalis - Let it Snow

at 6:38 PM

5 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:20 PM  
    Winter has been canceled this season due to "Feng Shui" design issues.
    :)
  2. Blogger Mrs. Baker posted at 1:01 AM  
    You were somewhere beautiful and wonderful, that's where you were :***

    Being and feeling grateful and reminding oneself daily of the blessings in one's life - however small and seemingly trivial- is one of the most powerful acts of healing and happiness I know :)
  3. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:37 AM  
    jambino: okay, that does make sense!

    mrs. baker: very true :) big hug my beautiful ms. baker :*************
  4. Anonymous Orion posted at 5:52 PM  
    We muse over the good old days not because they were any better, but because they remind us of a time when we were young, full of life and dreams, uninhibited by reality. When an old timer reminisces, it is not the past that he yearns for, but his youth that has gone by never to return.

    We find solace in memories, for the past, unlike the often cruel and capricious future, is always true and certain.

    As for the weather in Kuwait, it has been wonderful: sun and azure skies. What more can one ask for? Some might want cold and rain, but I for one choose the bright side.
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:13 PM  
    orion: that was lovely...but i'm no old timer! i'm still young & bursting with dreams. and what is clearly cruel is the present; the future is unknown, so that's something to look forward to i.e. the bright side :) thank you again for your poetic words :)

Post a Comment

« Home