Monday, February 07, 2011

Erzulie Goes to Zumba


You should so come! It’s so much fun!” That was the only thing my friends said about Zumba, the Latin-inspired dance fitness program that quickly gaining popularity here in Kuwait. “Trust me Erzulie, you’ll work up a sweat,” another friend said. I eventually gave in; I didn’t mind trying something new and it would be nice to know first-hand what the fuss was about.


My friend and I walked into the large workout room in a building in Salmiya two minutes before the class started. The place was packed. There were girls of all ages and sizes. Since I never worked out with a group before, I timidly scurried to the back of the room. Suddenly, the loud music started and I heard a woman yell in a high-pitched voice, “Yeahhh! Yeahhh! Come on! YeaaaAAAHHHH!” I peeked between the rows of girls and saw the leader of the pack, a toned woman with curly black hair clapping and cheering the crowd on as they mimicked her moves. “Follow me, I know what she’s doing,” a sweet girl in front of me said when she noticed me doing the two-step and waving my arms around awkwardly. I ended up watching the girl’s moves but I could not help but notice my friend who was two rows in front of me do the moves herself. That’s when I got the giggles. Call it nervous laughter, but I could not stop laughing whenever I saw my friend doing the moves! I tried to hide my tears because I was the only one laughing (hey it was my first time!) I eventually got the hang of it but couldn’t quite enjoy the whole experience, especially because I compared myself to the experienced girls and saw that I have no coordination skills whatsoever. Plus, some of the moves were a bit explicit; I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortable thrusting my hips and wiggling around in a roomful of people. The Zumba leader was like an energizer bunny who literally did not stop moving or encouraging us to push ourselves. Before the last song came on, I slipped outside and sat there waiting for my friend to finish.


“Why didn’t you enjoy it! It’s a lot of fun and I lost 5 kilos ever since I joined!” an avid-Zumba friend of mine said. While I’m glad that she’s loving her sessions there, I came to realize that I’m not one to involve anyone with my workout, “It’s just not for me,” I told my friend, “I think I like to workout alone, with my music and no one and nothing else.” I found the whole experience interesting but a bit distracting. Maybe it was because it was my first time, but I just didn’t feel it. Although my arms and legs were sore the next day, I think I preferred them to be sore from an hour-long run and 200 push-ups.


“How was Bumba Bumba?” my husband asked when I came back home. I smiled and didn’t bother to correct him because it sounded like such a cuter name. I shrugged and said, “It was all right, but I can’t wait until we renew our gym membership.”


Some Zumba songs for you...

Daddy Yankee Ft. Andy Montañez – Sabor A Melao

Don Omar Ft. Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro

Wisin & Yandel – El Telefono

at 8:30 AM

8 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:35 AM  
    I've been wanting to go to Zumba for so long, but had some doubts about it. You just confirmed my doubts lol
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:45 AM  
    oleana: WELL, you might want to go just to try it out for yourself. personally, my own music is my motivation so i wasn't too keen on reggaeton, salsa music and so on. it's fun, but you just have to know what kind of exercise works for you. and it does work; i know quite a few people who lost weight with zumba. then again, that's not my aim. i'd rather just zone out during a nice, long jog and not be bothered by following any rules :)
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:37 AM  
    honest to god, when i first heard about zumba i thought they were some sort of a cult, lol.

    is this miss curly curls?
    http://15345.zumba.com/

    male participating allowed? :P

    and on a side note: i was smiling while reading that you were tearfully laughing at your friend getting jiggy with it, dont ask me why but i thought it was something you 'dont do' :>
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 1:06 PM  
    q80thug: that's her! and i couldn't help the laughter bit :I
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:38 AM  
    Zumba is definatly not meant for everybody, but it is an amazing workout and class for those who enjoy latin and international rhythms while working out in a fun environment. I've been going for about 2 months now, and i'm sincerely addicted!
  6. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:40 AM  
    anon: you sound like my friend! good for you for knowing what works for your body and mind :) i'm a bit picky when it comes to choosing what music i listen to when i exercise. keep on dancing and i'll keep on running :)
  7. Blogger MBH posted at 9:52 PM  
    Yes, yes: Late as usual...

    Reading your post reminded me of the time I ventured into trying Latin dancing at The Palms. Boy was that a mistake or what!

    Everything felt awkward and to top it off, a fat girl 7 years younger than me was dancing so smoothly!No only that, she said I dance like a robot! :(

    So yeah, a one time experience. I stick to workouts at home with my techno & psychedelic music pumping from pandora.com
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:13 AM  
    MBH: i walked into that same salsa class with my friend out of curiosity, looked around for 5 seconds then split.

Post a Comment

« Home