Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chips & Chunks

- Hurrah! I just conquered my last final! My parents are very supportive during these times, especially through text-messages. My father sends me off-beat notes like “Attack exam,” while my dear mother starts off with a sweet “Aywah Erzulie! Edeeloh!” and the latter parts that tend to raise a few eyebrows like, “Yallah Erzulie! 6al3ay il ‘A’ min bala3eemhom.”

- I hate it when people freak me out five minutes before the exam is distributed. A girl sitting beside me turned around and asked me frantically, “Is the chi-rho-iota page in the Book of Kells on folio 34 or 24?!” I knew it was 34, but being the dramatic person I am, I started to hyperventilate while shuffling through the textbook, trying to find the greatest achievement of Hiberno-Saxon art.

- Ever since I was kicked out of my seventh grade religion class for asking my teacher about dinosaurs, I shied away from inquiring about certain aspects in Islam. As a side note, I learned more about the religion in college than in high school, where the professor mapped out grounded historical evidence and laws rather than scare the students with vivid details of eternal torture. Anyway, this has to do with my fear of worms i.e. Scoleciphobia. I’m bothered by the idea of worms feasting on my rotting corpse. Here’s my question: Is cremation forbidden in Islam? I thought it would be pretty neat to be seating in a pretty container like the intricately designed reliquaries of saints.

- I lost a three-week long bet to my friend; I guessed he was 29 years old when he actually turned thirty this year. So now, I have to cook chicken “machboos” and taboula. I hope I don’t kill the guy. This reminds me of bets in Kuwait. This guy is actually making me work for my faulty guess; whenever I’m back home, bets are instantly physical i.e. “Arahnik 3ala kaf/bux."


PS Goldfrap Ft. Depeche Mode - Jesus is my personal trainer >>http://www.djearworm.com/Jesus_is_my_Personal_Trainer.mp3
PPS Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil >> http://www.pressriot.com/lea_esta_semana/articulos/115/The_Rolling_Stones_Sympathy_For_The_Devil.mp3
PPPS Deep Dish Ft. Stevie Nicks - Dreams
http://www.geometria.ru/files/mp3/159/08%20-%20Deep%20Dish%20-%20Dreams.mp3

at 4:24 AM

17 Comments

  1. Blogger Temetwir posted at 4:42 AM  
    ur parents > exams

    guessing > students caring abt details

    * > 7esass deen, but:
    religion > *

    losing a bet < *

    finishing exams > * > losing a bet > guessing
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:43 AM  
    Temi: :)
  3. Blogger Jandeef posted at 8:31 AM  
    Can you give my number to your parents !?!?!
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:42 AM  
    Jandeef: Hehehe, they're MY cheerleaders! :P
  5. Blogger MBH posted at 9:48 AM  
    To my knowledge, in Islam, the only you should be treated after death, is being burried without barriers.
    "Ashes to ashes and dust to dust."

    Anyway, why would you want people to see you after 10 years of being dead?! Believe me, you don't want to see you!

    Plus, even though the body is eaten away, your soul is still there till Judgement Day.
  6. Blogger Jelly Belly posted at 11:55 AM  
    I love your parents messages...allah yekhaleehom lech...I think my parents all they could think of is my day of graduation LOL
    la3at chabdhom o ehoma yan6eroon...hahahahaha...anyways girly I'm happy your done and have a safe trip to Kuwait :*
  7. Blogger 3baid posted at 12:06 PM  
    "I was kicked out of my seventh grade religion class for asking my teacher about dinosaurs"

    Why did they kick you out? The only reason I could think of was that you were asking too many irrelevant questions and wasting the teacher's time. "i'6ay3een uil 7u99a" :/
  8. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 1:26 PM  
    Haha! Erzulie twanseen!
    Edeeloh made me laugh out loud.

    Always hated that: scare the students with vivid details of eternal torture
    I think creamation is forbidden. I think.

    You guessed he was a year younger he should be cooking you machboos!

    Mine are always:
    Arahnik 3ela 6rag.
    Arahnik 3ela bosa.
  9. Blogger don_veto posted at 2:00 PM  
    hope you do well in your tests. Don't you hate those super geeks where they give you 2 hours for a test and he solves it in 1/4 of the time and gives in his paper with a big confident smile on his face while you are sweating bullets trying to understand the first question ?

    PS: Love your music
  10. Blogger Unknown posted at 4:52 PM  
    i just emailed my final paper for 19th century european art.. it was TORTURE :( now all i gotta do is pack for LA and do laundry..
    7amdilla 3ala isalama o have fun in kuwait :)
  11. Blogger Erzulie posted at 6:17 PM  
    mbh: Oh! Your last sentence rhymed! And it's not my body, it's my ashes sooo...

    Jelly Belly: Thank you :)

    3baid: The teacher was trying to be creative on the first day "Ask me a question about Islam" so of course, I asked about the whereabouts of dinosaurs and the reply I got was "Hmm...Erzulie...entazreni baraahh 'shoof."

    DR: You have the sweetest comments! Hmm...he always brags about his tiramisu...khanshof :P

    Don_Veto: Awww crap! I finished my test first yesterday! I was like "I studied all the this and it was THAT easy!?!?" Seriously I was mad because I ate the damned book and the exam was insulting. I looked around and everyone was scribbling away and I'm like "Should I stay?" It was my last exam. I got up, dropped my paper on the podium and left.

    7tenths: Hehehe, you're such a sweetheart. I will make a great flight happen :) I wish there's a party plane...Excuse me I just woke up so I feel a bit woozy :P
  12. Blogger The Krispy Dixie posted at 6:37 PM  
    I hope ur exam went well! :D

    People used to make me nervous before exams as well.. u can't let it get to u!

    Religion is about asking questions, verifying information, not getting coerced into believing in something. about cremation.. I think it is forbidden... not sure but i think it is...

    anywho, this was my first trip to ur blog and I like! :D
  13. Blogger Jewaira posted at 8:38 PM  
    Congratulations on finishing your exams and hope you have a great break :)
  14. Blogger Mohammad Al-Yousifi posted at 12:26 AM  
    :( 6la3tooni maddy...i always arahen 3la floos:P


    come on....tache off ur word verification re7may 3yoonaa

    x w t m d a x q!
    eb themetech hathy kelma!
  15. Blogger Trevelyana posted at 5:39 AM  
    Erzulie your parents are too sweet rabby yi5aleelik humma..
    My father had no idea my finals started.. and my mother asked what classes I was taking again heh..
    Hope they remember my graduation..
  16. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:46 PM  
    Snookie: Good luck I hope you do well :) And take care of yourself during Xmas break :) Hope you have fun...I'll snag a bit of K-town for ya' :P

    Krispy: Welcome :) Well, that's what I keep hearing, "I THINK" it's forbidden. It's a very gray area - hehe, surprisingly - and I want to get it straight...

    Mishari: Hmm...yes. Well the thing is we were learning about these things in our Social Studies and Science classes so I when I was kicked out I was lke "What gives? Gimme an answer dammit!" And I want be in a bejewelled case...not an wrapped in an ugly, easily penetrable bed sheet! :P

    Jewaira: Thank you :)

    Kila Ma6goog: Hehehehe :P It9adig awal mara shway ti'athait min il word verification bes ba3dain istanast lana a7awel a6ale3 kelma aw kelmitain :P or make up my own words :P~~

    Leeno: Heh, well Leeno I am positive that you're always in their hearts. Some of my friends' parents are a little bit out of the loop when it comes to specific classes and finals...they're more into the "How's everything so far" sorta thing...Take care Leeno :)
  17. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:33 PM  
    DNA: Khanshoof bes! :P

Post a Comment

« Home