Thursday, June 08, 2006

My Angel Cake

Her flowery, tiffany nightgown is concealed under a pale pink robe. She glides on the kitchen floor, her slippers patting the bare, marble floor, her blunt, dark hennaed hair tucked behind her flushed ears.

“Yuma, can I lick the batter?” I ask, following her gauzy trail as she moves from the cabinets to the doughy mixture. “Erzulie, it will upset your tummy. I do not know why you kids like that raw taste.”

I stand above the sweet combination of flour, eggs, vanilla, nuts, and butter. I carefully slide my finger on the higher side of the plastic mixing bowl, snagging an unsatisfying taste of the flour that threw itself away from the rest of the tanned mush.

“Wait Erzulie, let me pour it into the cake pan first.” She hoists the bottom of the bowl on her pink palm and quickly guides the contents into the metal container with swift, professional strokes, “There, you can have the rest.”

All that is left in the ivory vessel are thin streaks of tawny remnants of the recipe’s uncooked paste. Once again, I sail my index finger inside, slurping away with delight. I finally place the bowl in the sink and watch the murky water rise toward the brim. But wait! There was one edible strand left! I beat the rising pond and grab the last swipe of dough as my mother laughs at my wacky obsession with the batter. And it would not be long before I am lurking around the kitchen, sniffing the delicious air, waiting for the feast to begin.



PS's...
Grant Green - A Day in the Life
REM - The Great Beyond
Edgar Allen Floe - The Torch

For Mamy: Fairuz - Mosh o9a Hay




*Note: I downloaded a bunch of files from 6arab & Salmiya.net. I want them on my iPod as opposed to stuffed in the "3araby" folder on my desktop. The problem is that I do not know how to convert them. Does anyone know what software I should buy/download in a oh-so-legal-way so I can bop along with samrat A9eel on my way to class? Merci awi ;)

at 4:02 AM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger Extinct Dodo posted at 5:15 AM  
    that explains why they invented "chocolate chip cookie dough" ice cream
  2. Blogger bo_ghazi posted at 1:46 PM  
    You can convert the songs using this program.
  3. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 4:57 PM  
    I never liked dough....il have to try.
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:37 PM  
    Extinct: Yah!!

    Fedex: I see...will get on it...and thanks :)

    Bo_g: Oqay oqay...tamam...more specific :P

    DR: It's yummy :P
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:40 PM  
    Extinct: Aha! Yes...maybe...also one of my fave, store bought ice creams...Num num :)~~

    Fedex: Aha, i see...thanks :))

    Bo_G: Ah ok ok...

    DR: Try it! It's yummy :))
  6. Blogger Angelo posted at 8:45 AM  
    OMG! I used to do that all the time.

    BTW, go to: mazikana.com

    You will find a great library of MP3 Arabic Music.
  7. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:45 AM  
    Fallen: OMG OMG OMG! You used to do that too! OHMAGAD! :P~~~

    Yeah, I got an email about mazika thingi...but thanks fallen :) & im just teasing you :P~~
  8. Blogger Temetwir posted at 7:09 PM  
    And right then and there, Erzulie witnessed a tear trickle down the face of one of her readers.
  9. Blogger Erzulie posted at 7:27 PM  
    Hug: K...

    Temetwir: Shakoo tear?
  10. Blogger Caffeinated posted at 7:17 AM  
    I used to love cake batter, cookie dough, and even freshly whipped cream.

    I would go after the spoon, the bowl, and the mixer...of course, only after distracting my brothers by telling them that something interesting was happening outside.

    Mine, alllll mine, mwahahha!

    Good times, Erzulie. It brought back great memories. Thank you :)
  11. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:24 AM  
    Caff: I forgo the spoon. I like to get my fingers in there, poke around for a few left over scraps. Good times :))

Post a Comment

« Home