Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Phone Tag

I have been tagged by Kuwaiti Demon, the source of rare, precious photographs of Old Kuwait and other graphic gimmicks.

I am not obsessed with hounding the up-and-coming new phone. The only thing I care about is a colorful background and that the damn thing does not break if I chuck it on the floor or if it falls out of my back pocket and onto the pavement as it did last week while I was zooming down the main avenue on my bicycle.

While I was packing my two suitcases this Christmas for my return to the US, I discovered that I lost my cell phone. The only thing I regret is the collection of saved names and numbers.

My sister gave me this phone before I went abroad. She told me that it was brand new but our nephew, being a dancing addict to ringing tones, had dipped the gadget in a cool, mango dessert and thus, the earpiece was shot to shit.

At first, I struggled with the new tool. I could barely hear the other person talking on the other end of the line. I continued to say, “Can you speak up a bit? I can’t hear you.” After I ended that final ear draining conversation, I decided to do something about it before I develop ear cancer. I took the phone apart and studied the ear piece’s holes. And whaddya know! I found the dried up crust of the mango dessert blocking the place where the sound comes out! I happily poked the holes with a toothpick and now my phone is muffle-free.

Description of the mango dessert survivor:


1- Front: I took a picture of a picture. Whenever I go back home, I tumble down in my jet-lagged state to our library and “borrow” some of my family’s aged photographs from the long, spiraled photo albums with the thick covers that feature Western couples frolicking on lush fields.
This photograph is of my mother and her father, my grandfather may he rest in peace. Looking at my mother’s poofy hair, I would say it was taken in the mid-to-late 80’s. I love her smile. It’s so peaceful and calm. My grandfather was probably in his late 60’s or early 70’s during that time, but he looked like a movie star with his elegant, baby blue robe and crisp pajamas. I felt bad about placing that strip on their beautiful eyes, so I made it pink rather than black. Also, I do not want my mom to freak out if she comes across this post, “Erzulie! Haw sh7a6a!”


2- Back: Not much here but you can sort of see how careless I am with my phone. I am obsessed with “3ilch Mai” (Arabic gum) and there’s still a hardened piece of it stuck to the bottom right of my phone. I plan to scrape it off but I think it gives my phone character. I have a camera but I don’t use it. I took a picture of myself with it, trying to appear serious and glamorous at the same time. I ended up looking like an angry alien. My head was enormous, as if I was looking at the bottom of a tablespoon.


PS's...
Juanes - La Camisa Negra
Gotan Project - Differente
Gotan Project - Domingo
Common - 6th Sense
Sly & the Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay

at 12:00 AM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Baroque posted at 4:16 PM  
    hehe ;p
    my phone recently got into a fatal accident.. lets just say that it was not cut out for extreme sports and summer!
    and now i'm phoneless and contactless ness.. in other words no contacts, and to make it all worse i'm borrowing my little sis's phone who is thalatnii thaal..
  2. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 5:34 PM  
    lol im a follow 'borrower' of family pics! My excuse is I am trying to build my own photograph library, so i have to have a little bit of everything.

    3ilch may hurts my jaw. I feel like chiny imsolfa bil telefon wayid after i chew it for a bit.
  3. Blogger q80_demon posted at 6:41 PM  
    A good phone you have here, when you left that comment in my blog I thought you were going to post a picture of "Intaliq wa7id" :-D and I like the individual touches: mango and gum :-/
    BTW, in the middle of the second picture on the left: is that your passport?
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 2:36 AM  
    baroque: Loool! Sorry you had to give in to your lil' sister's commands!

    DR: Well, none of my family members know that I took THAT much of pics from the albums. Some are really old, black and white photographs of my father climbing a tree...it's beautiful :) And kept in a very safe place :))

    q8o demon: I don't know what makes a good phone. All I know is that it's Nokia and it's white. I'm not good with memorizing the styles and numbers. Lol oo mashallah shal 3ain! Yup, it is my passport. I had to copy it along with my I-20 for my internship that day. Now it's tucked safely in my nightstand's wooden drawer :))

Post a Comment

« Home