Friday, May 19, 2006

Back in the Hood

Pearl Street, Boulder, CO

I had a short but much needed five day break. I met up with my dear, good friends and we had a lovely time during the toasty days and breezy nights. I shopped, had my portion of homemade cookie dough ice cream, and clashed with a French tarot reader in an Indian clothing boutique. “Are you from Morocco?” was the first thing the snotty, silver-haired hag asked me.
Pearl Street, Boulder, CO

My flight back took 7.5 instead of 2.5 hours due to bad weather. But my bus ride to the airport was more amusing, or rather, discomforting. As always, I sat in the back of the bus to stretch my legs and embrace the available spaciousness. Unfortunately, a fifty-something year old man with visible hair plugs and a cheesy orange tan plopped down next to me. He talked about his destination, Brazil, and its wonders, “You know, Brazilian women are very flirtatious. I mean, it is okay for an eighteen year old girl to flirt with an eighty year old guy, you know, to make him feel good.” I felt strange when he said that. I am sure I made a face because he gave me an awkward grin before shutting up for good.

Pearl Street, Boulder, CO


I took a second, one hour bus ride back home. My friend had called me earlier and told me that if I needed a ride to my apartment I should call her; however, I thanked her for the offer and told her that I will simply flag down a cab.

Pearl Street, Boulder, CO

Yet when I reached the bus station at 11 pm, the ever-present row of taxis was nonexistent. The streets were dark and muggy from the rain. There was literally no one around except the middle-aged couple who hopped off the bus with me. “Are you waiting for someone?” I answered the woman and told her that I just phoned the taxi company. Her husband looked around the bare streets, “You know, this is a bad area. Are you sure you will be okay here? Do you want us to stay with you until the cab arrives?”

Suddenly, their thirty year old daughter pulled up in her minivan and she was quickly informed of my taxi-less situation. “Come on hon, we’ll drop you home. You can't stay here alone.” And home was about a five minute ride anyway. So I hauled my plump suitcase in the trunk and chatted with my helpful hosts. The people you meet whilst traveling…

I came back home and unpacked. I woke up at 4 am only because I was starving. Fortunately, my friend was still up so we headed to a nearby diner. I was looking over my menu and we both laughed at the following:

Good times, good friends...

PS's...

Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason

Weekend Players - Into the Sun

Thievery Corporation - Liberation Front

at 12:53 AM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger Angelo posted at 7:37 AM  
    Pearl Street, CO? I don't know if you already know this but currently I live in Boulder, CO. If you are from Boulder or Denver then I probably know you.

    OKay without giving any names, have you been to one of the Kuwaiti girls graduation this year?
  2. Blogger Nooni posted at 11:30 AM  
    lovey people just appear when you least expect them..i just love it.

    :) have fun gurl
  3. Blogger Baroque posted at 4:43 PM  
    you just gave me hope in people, i think what the older couple did was amazing..

    its nice to know that people care..

    they were ur superman :P
  4. Blogger Sedna posted at 9:47 PM  
    Welcome back :) Glad you had a good time babe
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:53 PM  
    fallen angel: I know that you live there but I don't. I did not go to any of the Kuwaiti girls' graduation but I caught up with one of the girls :)

    judy: Yup, 'feels good :)

    baroque: It wasn't heroic but it sure was a super deed :)

    sedna: Thanks :))
  6. Blogger Temetwir posted at 10:37 PM  
    - IN for more on the "homemade cookie dough ice cream"
    ana mostawaay elsara7a ma yet3ada el thahab wel fetha mn KDD, so whats up

    - not sure if the brazilian-comment is an insult or a complement

    - i hate beautiful ppl who get to ride with a nice couple instead of waiting for their cabs like us common (politically incorrect variation:ugly) folk
    kelesh mo entay tara, just saying
  7. Blogger Q8Sultana posted at 1:32 AM  
    My aunt and uncle live in Boulder. I've been there twice :o)

    It's beautiful, but a bit on the quiet side.
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:35 PM  
    Temetwir: In terms of ice cream, KDD's thahab wel fetha AND the grand sandwich ice cream are top. But cookie dough ice cream...you can bite, lick, slurp, and chew it. It's all over the place, like custard :)
    And the Brazilian comment. It was just weird and out of place. It was 8:30 in the morning and I couldn't understand how an aging thing can have so much rigor for a pointless discussion.
    And what's up with the last comment! :P

    q8sultana: Wow! That's amazing! I love it there. And it IS beautiful. But if can be quiet or, well, not so quiet ;P
  9. Blogger Erzulie posted at 2:20 AM  
    7tenths: Lol :P & thanks for the tunes :))

Post a Comment

« Home