Sunday, August 20, 2006

Midnight Henna

Half-asleep, the six year old girl mumbled in protest as she felt her mother wrapping her small hands with plastic bags after she padded the cool, maroon mud in her palms in the wee hours of the morning.

When she woke up, she frowned at her hands, now a dark orange.
“Mama! I don’t like henna! Why do you put it in my hands when I am sleeping! I hate the smell!” She complained to her mother as they drove to school.
“My dear it’s good for you.”
She huffed at her mother’s reply. “I hate the smell,” she thought to herself.

Later during recess, she joined her classmates in their new found game. The students were playing with an ant by placing their hands on the ground and letting the small creature trek on their fingers and palms.
“I want to play!” The little girl quickly squatted on the floor and opened her hand to the oblivious ant.
“Yuck! What is that on your hands!” Andrew wrinkled his nose.
“It’s henna,” she replied.
“Euuuwww! That’s gross!” The children made faces at her as she starred at her orangey and ironically foreign hands amongst the sea of white, pink and yellow palms.


PS's...
Knotoryus - The Revenge of the Bomberclad Joint (Kruder & Dorfmeister Mix Part II)
Roger Sanchez - Another Chance
Folk Implosion - Natural One (UNKLE Remix)

at 9:18 AM

16 Comments

  1. Blogger Angelo posted at 9:46 AM  
    I'm assuming that little girl was you!?
  2. Blogger rahab al majed | رَحَـبْ المــاجِـدْ posted at 10:19 AM  
    that sounds so familiar..
  3. Blogger MSB posted at 4:56 PM  
    :/ i hate the smell of henna too!!!
  4. Blogger dishevelled posted at 5:10 PM  
    Henna is good for you? How and why?

    I almost always hear a parent tell their child something or another is good for them, but RARELY do I hear them giving a reason to why it's good.
  5. Blogger Sloth posted at 5:21 PM  
    ahhh i luv the smell of henna.. the feel of it .. everything !

    i cant wait till my mom puts them in my palms.. heck i used to beg her ! and spend all day in school sniffing my palms !

    now at my cruuent young age *cough* i beg her to put it in my hair.. its truley good.. it adds a protective layer which strngthen the hair.. all natural ingrediants and it adds a hint of color ! ok i am starting to smell it now.. sniffff sniffff aby :'(
  6. Blogger ScarlO posted at 8:04 PM  
    :-D I remember my grandmom did this to me before 3eed..
    oo 6ool el yom the next day I wouldn't eat because my hands smelled of 7enna.. bas I loved how it looked, I just didnt like the smell.

    No art yet? *innocent puppy face*
  7. Blogger Lola posted at 9:20 PM  
    Aaaaaaaawww... I can just see the little decorated hand in the sea of bland hands!
  8. Blogger 1001 Nights posted at 9:32 PM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  9. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:47 PM  
    fallen: Yup :)

    junoony: :))

    msb: I don't like it :/

    dishevelled: Hehe, maybe the parent was not told about the how's and why's of things when they were children :P I don't know the scientific explanation but I'm sure it has something to do with it being herbal and natural.

    sloth: Well, it's a good that you like the smell. I have a henna tattoo on my wrist right now but I would never put it in my hair otherwise it'll turn bright red!

    scarlo: I love how it looks too! But the smell, yekh :/ I love it when I see old women in Kuwait with bright wrinkled hands and fingers :)

    raine: Haha :)

    shahrazad: Well, not everyone's likes and dislikes are the same :) I kinda wish I like the smell but sadly, I don't
  10. Blogger MBH posted at 10:44 AM  
    So, I'm assuming you had patterns, right?

    I'm sure the patterns would've been translates to this ::
    Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

    --- The Lord of the Rings
  11. Blogger Hanan posted at 8:07 PM  
    Were those Kuwaiti kids? How could they not know what henna is? How young are you girl? :)
  12. Blogger Erzulie posted at 1:06 AM  
    MBH: I don't care for Lord of the Rings or any sci-fi creature with wings, large ears, etc.

    Hanan: Nope, they weren't. I was six then, 21 now :)
  13. Blogger MBH posted at 4:31 AM  
    Erzulie,
    You don't like sci-fi!!!!
    *faints*
  14. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:52 AM  
    MBH: If you say "Come on Erzulie, let's watch (insert sci-fi movie)" it's as if you're saying "Come on Erzulie, let's crucify you"
    I don't care for anime either :/
  15. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 10:33 AM  
    I LOVED 7enna on my hands when i wa litte :P
  16. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:00 AM  
    DR: Mmm no no, ma 7ib ree7at'ha :(

Post a Comment

« Home