Monday, August 14, 2006

Shootin' the Shit

Yesterday I went to the state fair. It’s always nice to see the suburban crowd trekking to these kinds of events since I don’t get to see that diverseness when I’m shuffling to and fro campus. You have the preppy parents who win most of the games and shove the cheap stuffed toys to their kids, the Hispanic crowd with the whole extended family trailing behind their Adam and Eve in addition to their beautiful toddlers who most likely sport a gold chain necklace around their three year old necks, the African-American bunch with their adorable children, the chain-smoking rednecks, the greasy high school kids that fill the place with their dramatic “Just forget about it Joe. It was your bed” or “I can’t believe she did that!” and the country oh-so-country crowd.

I ate the essential corn dog. I felt a bit strange chowing down on it in public; I smothered it with ketchup and stationed myself near one of the food stands and swallowed it right up before having a funnel cake and a necessary cream puff. Eating the puff was also a bit hard to handle; in the end, my fingers were covered with its delicious whipped cream and there wasn’t anything I could do accept lick my fingers clean.

There were a lot of rides but I am a bit anxious about getting on something that was installed on a temporary basis. The only thing I did get on was a bull. Maybe it’s because I’m a Taurus, or perhaps I just love a challenge instead of getting in a seat and screaming my lungs out as I’m being flipped upside down. Well I got on that bull and I must say I did pretty well. I even beat the wannabe cowboy who continued to flail his straw hat around. But after that ride, I couldn’t walk straight; my inner thighs hurt like hell – and they still do. Now I’m not surprised when I see real rodeos walk like they have something up their asses.

Today I treated myself to a sweet movie, “Little Miss Sunshine.” I caught it at my neighborhood’s even sweeter independent movie theater. I don’t think that it will come out in Kuwait but if it’s available in Amazon.com, get it. I think it’s the best movie I’ve seen this summer; funny and bitter-sweet.


PS's...
Eydie Gorme y Los Panchos – Fuego Bajo Tu Piel
Kid Koala - Scratch Scratch
Zero 7 - Destiny (Photex Mix)
Weezer - Say It Ain't So

at 8:53 AM

7 Comments

  1. Blogger rahab al majed | رَحَـبْ المــاجِـدْ posted at 9:37 AM  
    i saw little miss sunshine last weekend.. i luved the dance sequence at the end lol
  2. Blogger Entrepreneur posted at 9:42 AM  
    Your taste in music continues to impress. I saw Kid Koala live with Coldcut once, they are a formidible live act.

    Also have a Kid Koala breezeblock mix from 2000, aired on BBC Radio 1.

    Have a look for essential mixes, there are some classics out there from Ninja tune and Mo Wax.
  3. Blogger 3abeer posted at 4:02 PM  
    Sounds good so I'll take your recommendation.
  4. Blogger Chicken Soup posted at 8:33 PM  
    awwww wanasa i love county fairs!! :D funnel cake is the BESTEST mmmmm.. all the powdered sugarrr ohooo shawagteeni!
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:16 PM  
    junoony: I loved the whole movie. Greg Kinnear was a prick in the beginning then he evened out. I loved the little actress though; she's adorable.

    Entre: You saw him live! Shit! And Breezeblock have the bestest mixes. I got kid koala's :)) And a couple more...Mixmaster Mike, Herbaliser ummm what else...Krafty Kuts, DJ Qbert & Food...yup

    3abeer: Yeah the movie? It's great :)

    fwai7: Yeah I loved that greasy crap. For me, I didn't want to see the food getting made because it looked like a piece of shit but it sure was yummy.
  6. Blogger Kleio posted at 2:42 AM  
    Great...now I'm not gonna sleep tonight, thinking about corndogs and funnel cakes. There was a place in California called "Hotdog on a Stick" that had the best corndogs in the world, washed down with an ice cold lemonade. I would buy a ticket to Cali just to get my hands on one of those. And funnel cakes - makes me think of happy childhood memories at Knotts Berry Farm and Magic Mountain. Yummmmmm-yyyyyy!
  7. Blogger Erzulie posted at 7:04 AM  
    Kleio: I still can't walk right from that effin' bull. Anyhow...
    Yeah my friend and I shared a funnel cake but I hogged it. Knotts Berry Farm's amazing. We dedicated a whole day to it. I got a really REALLY bad stomach ache at the end because I had my swimsuit on and I went on the water ride with the big circular tube thing. My swimsuit was still wet after that and the whole night I was bent on the floor because "dash feeni hawa." Nice ride though. And we did get super drenched.

Post a Comment

« Home