Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ramadanian Tidbits

For some reason, I cannot take my eyes off of Haleema Boland’s “Fawazeer” and nor can my cousins. After futoor, we all sit around the television set and stare at her with “Is she for real?” and “How can her husband agree to this?” type of comments flying about.

So Ramadan funks up the metabolism. That’s nice. One of the things that I do love about Ramadan though is the aroma of familiar foods you smell just before you enter the house. That has never changed and I hope it never will.

I was at a gathering at my gal pal’s place the other night and one of the girls, the youngest and a friend of a friend, squealed when an old, white-haired man and his wrinkled wife appeared on the TV screen, “Oh I love old people! They’re so cute!” Of course, the other girls smiled at her and agreed. I just looked at her blankly while thinking, “Cute? If I turn seventy and somebody refers to me as cute because I’m old and on the verge of death I will F them up.”

I actually thought about what kind of “old person” I would be when I’m, well, old. Would I be that stereotypical nice and sweet grandmother who sits around the house drinking tea while ordering the help around? Or would I be one of those who cuss and damn everything that passes by them? The latter would be so much more fun. Old people can get away with many things…


MP3's...
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Prince - Kiss
Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul
Common Ft. Lily Allen - Drivin' Me Wild
Kanye West - Stronger (Timbaland Drums Remix)
Kanye West - Homecoming
Feist - Past in Present
Daft Punk - The New Wave (Full Length)
Gary Neuman - Cars
Pretenders - Back on the Chain Gang

at 2:11 PM

13 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:41 PM  
    wallhy nither can I! I cannot stop watching that shit - sorry- crap for Ramadan & I've also thought of her husband, What up ya 3abd elsalam! WTH!

    Enshallah you grow up to be the nanny you want- bas I see one funky nana :)
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:06 PM  
    I know i will be one crazy grandmother! Wooohoo... but i also ohope that i dont live to be that old.

    as for 7aleema i think she's the man of the house! heeeeh
  3. Blogger error posted at 3:09 PM  
    lack of vocabulary, I guess everything in her life is either cute or not-cute.
  4. Blogger Delicately Realistic posted at 3:42 PM  
    Fawazeeer fawazeeer 7a-la-lam-lam

    ;P

    Mbarak 3alaich ilshahar 7bebti ;*
  5. Blogger Ms. Sarah posted at 3:46 PM  
    hehehe i think old people are interestingly exotic.. they live in a world of wisdom and experiences.. they scare me sometimes..

    I think i'll be a cool grandma, sipping on my Chai 7aleeb while reading ur blog on my laptop... wondering why you're cursing and damn-ing everything that passes by you :p
  6. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:19 AM  
    chikapappi: I don't know how to react to her whole show. She did lose weight though. But her makeup, oh her makeup. I would pay to see her without it. And funky nana...well, maybe, we'll see :)

    blue dress: I like crazy but wise grandmothers. And why not live until you're old enough to be a grandmama! I think it's fun but I hope I don't grow old enough to need someone to bathe me or something. And man of the house? Maybe a thing of the house...she looks like a grotesque porcelain doll.

    error: *laughs* yes she seemed like that the other night. I personally don't use the word cute since it's too general and blah.

    DR: Itdale3 nafs'ha ba3ad (!) Yallah, that's kuwaiti entertainment for you! Oo 3alaina oo 3alaich DR :))

    swair: In a world of wisdom and experiences, that's a mouthful. I just thing of them as tired old bags who have the right to do whatever they want, like start a strike or something. Who'd handcuff a little old lady burning so-and-so's picture right in front of his house? Probably no one. And I loved your last bit! Hey, you never know! Hmm...I hope I won't have arthiritis by then...
  7. Blogger Mohammad Al-Yousifi posted at 2:03 AM  
    حليمة لقت نفسها بالفوازير

    أفضل منها كمذيعة

    بس مادري ليش كل البنات ضدها و كل الرياييل ضدها جدام حريمهم و حدهم مستانسين عليها لمن يكونون بروحهم
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:07 AM  
    kila:
    لوول, صاج (!) أنا أقول إن البنات ما يحبونها لأنها دعلة الإدعل وتبين هالشيء جدام الكل. والريايل إحبونها لأنها دلوعة وبيضة ودلوعة وإمتكتكة ودلوعة للمرة الثالثة!
    أنا أقول إن إهية تتكلم جذي بالصج بس شوي إتبالغ بالتلفزيون, يعني مو ليه هالدرجة. ومكياجها مو مكياج, يعني طوفتنا إلي توها صابغينها أبيض إبدارنا الضيوف أهون منها.
    but she's very amusing to observe, وأشوة حاطينها بعد الفطور لأن حركاتها جنها بداية فلم إباحي
  9. Blogger 1001 Nights posted at 10:52 AM  
    I think about the old lady issue too. Like there's a lot of us now who often speak in English so would we speak in English as grandmothers and say things like "what up yo" when we're 70?
  10. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:32 AM  
    1001: Wow this is so strange. I have often thought about it and cringed at my future self (if i live that long). I mean imagine a wrinkled 70-something year old saying something on the lines of "Dude what the hell was that all about!" Damn I feel myself blushing right now just thinking about it! Kilish mayloooooooooooooog!
  11. Blogger Bloggylife posted at 12:35 AM  
    "حليمة لقت نفسها بالفوازير" LOOOL
    والله ضاعت و ضيعت الفوازير معاها

    She makes Haifa Wa7bee&the others singing sound great!!!

    The weird thing when they poll Ramadan programs, hers is going to be number 1.

    I agree with you, the best thing about old people is "they get away with ANYthing" I've seen my gramma ;)
  12. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:40 PM  
    maryam: i won't be surprised to see the fawazeer as the most watched program during ramadan...she sounds and looks high on crack most of the time, and that's always amusing to see..
  13. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:52 AM  
    After a few jaw-dropping futoors eaten while having to painfully endure watching the poor woman make a psychedelic technicolor spectacle of herself in front God and all His little creatures, there can be only one reasonable conclusion.

    7aleema is not on crack. She is in fact, on acid.

    Someone, please please stage an intervention PDQ.

    I said P. D. capital Q.

    (kel 3am wa intay bilkhair, imbarek 3laych ilshahar :) )

Post a Comment

« Home