Thursday, December 22, 2005

Kids, Cupcakes & Mr.Patience

I went to my brother's third grade Christmas party today. Although the nostalgic smell of stuffy lunchboxes and wooden desks still lingered familiarly in the air, the students seem a bit more hip than my wrinkled, eleven year-old class picture. One girl clad in a Juicy Couture flaunted the brand's logo until her friend exclaimed, "Oh wow! Juicy!" Another smug kid pointed to his pants and shirt and told his eager friend, "Yeah, this is Armani and Energie."

I have nothing against these brands; Juicy Couture and Energie are cute and fun and Armani is cool and sleek. But these are eight year olds! When I was that age, I did not have any idea which store my mom bought my clothes from! Okay, I do remember we were big fans of Benetton and Sisley, but I don't remember me or anyone of my classmates showcasing our attire!

But I must say, you guys missed out on the frosted cupcakes and homemade pastries piled up on the two tables. I didn't have any because I had a fabulous lunch waiting for me at home, but the spread sure looked yummy. I feel sorry for the teacher because he ended up ushering happy yet hyper kids from all the sugar.

Speaking of the teach…I have never seen anyone so patient with kids. I love kids and can handle 3-5 of them just fine. But I think the classroom floor would be splattered with blood if I was in charge of those twenty hoodlums. Some children were docile, others were authoritative and bossed the other kids around effectively – a trait the teacher took advantage of – while others were downright annoying. I really admire the guy for taking care of his students' needs. I was watching him as he surveyed the room systematically whilst talking to the child before him and actually listening to what he/she had to say. Bravo Mister, I salute you.

at 1:40 AM

13 Comments

  1. Blogger Temetwir posted at 5:40 AM  
    - i dont like the idea of having a 'christmas party' in a kuwaiti school..
    and yes i know that it doesnt hurt

    - be that as it may, WHAT THE FRUIT.. really, thats what the kids said? i dont "mind/care" what they wear, but to say that this is x and this is y is a bit too much for me at their age

    must be all those christmas parties ;)
  2. Blogger Sami posted at 2:22 PM  
    Good to hear you're having fun..
  3. Blogger Erzulie posted at 3:18 PM  
    7tenths #1: Hehe :P

    7tenths #2: Haha :) American.

    Temetwir: I like Christmas. I don't think having a Christmas party is blasphemous; it doesn't make you a *gasp* infidel. I mostly like the lights, the dessert, and the gifts :)

    Sami: Looooool :P~~~ 'Hope you're doing well...
  4. Blogger Temetwir posted at 3:35 PM  
    erzulie i know, and thats why i said "i know it doesnt hurt" .. but lets be honest now, it IS being imposed becoz of the school's system i.e. becoz of the teachers ..
    now, im all for the "tasaamu7 bain il adyaan" and i respect that, bel3aks y3ni i say merry christmas and all that just like i would (expect to) get "eed mubarak" from 'them' when it is time

    but that doesnt mean that it makes it okay that 8-11 yr old children are 'celebrating' the birth of the CHRISTIAN jesus (u and i both know that "Jesus" isnt the same man as naby allah "3eesa") in school

    if it were a party that they put together to make the kids have a little fun nearing the holidays then that sounds great as it is

    i hope u see my point .. and btw how about that cindy pic u have!
    how is she, yeah.. we went out
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 5:03 PM  
    Temetwir: Heh, well I don't think the kids know the real story behind Christmas. Like me, they were there for the food.
  6. Blogger Temetwir posted at 5:17 PM  
    erzulie lol.. that was a hell of a way to reply

    u should work here http://www.mofa.gov.kw/
  7. Blogger A3sab posted at 6:44 PM  
    oh how i hate that...how the kids show off their clothes is just rediculous.

    wintay i9adja ana lain iljam3a 7addi beneton, sisley and gap. M&S too.
  8. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:50 PM  
    Temetwir: Haha :P

    A3sab: Mhmm...ya3ny athker lama kena yahal, kena imratebeen bes kilish I do NOT remember sticking to certain high-end brands. Bes hathol il yahal ikhar3oon i9ara7a...and if they're that aware about pricy clothing lines at this age, moo b3eeda idawmoon ib Birkin bag in high school...*huff* akhhh, tainted childhood.
  9. Blogger Unknown posted at 2:04 PM  
    lol.. yeah i dont remember knowing any brands other than benetton as well :P
    yahal hal ayam.. hehe..

    oh man.. i cant even handle one kid :/ i have zero patience.. i treat all kids like adults.. so i get super pissed when they do something i told them not to do previously..
  10. Blogger Erzulie posted at 3:02 PM  
    Snookie: Hehehe, treat all kids like adults :P I'm good with kids just as long as they don't gang up on me :P
  11. Blogger Mohammad Al-Yousifi posted at 5:23 AM  
    is this post to get an easy A to ur brother?? lool just kiddin

    i ahte it these days and how kids are too materialstic! come on

    we have a 6 yr old grl in the family who can tell if ur LV bag real or fake!!

    only in kuwait
  12. Blogger Misguided posted at 9:21 AM  
    Dear Erzulie,

    I love kids... and get along just fine..

    But to the issue of the day... what's up with designer clothes on young kids.. what kind of values are we teaching them..

    This is ridiculous.

    truly,
    Misguided
  13. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:33 PM  
    Kila Ma6goog: Haha :P La maskeen my brother studies a lot for his science tests and such; unlike me, he's good in mathematics and such...art too. LV bag? Pshhhh... :P

    Misguided: There are no values to begin with. Period.

Post a Comment

« Home