Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Sorority: Part Une

It was an ordinary, spring day. I was on my way to class when I noticed a pretty girl sitting behind a table that was loaded with candy. I slowed down, trying to resist a sweet-tooth attack. Unfortunately, I collapsed and headed toward the mound of treats. I was fishing through the pile as I asked the girl about the event she was promoting. ‘Oh, it’s rush season! Would you like to fill out a form?’ I shrugged off my why-nots and wrote my information on the paper.
That Friday night, an unknown number popped up on my phone’s screen.
‘Hi Erzulie! We were just wondering if you’ll be able to come tonight. It’s the first night of rush season!’ I remembered the form I filled out. ‘Oh. Well, I’m kind of busy tonight,’ I replied, adjusting my pajama bottom. ‘Well, I hope you can make it tomorrow night! We’ll put you on the accelerated program so you can see all the sororities and choose which one you’d like to be in this Sunday night!’
Click.
Well, I thought, why not? I’m not doing anything special tomorrow night and the girl on the phone said it would be ‘formal night.’ I guess I just missed being dolled up.
The next night, I arrived at the conference hall surrounded by hoards of girls dressed up in jersey dresses, cotton skirts, and other discounted items. I was sent to the acceleration group: nine girls who missed the first day of rush. ‘Oh my God! I am so excited! I never had a sister before!’ a perky blonde squealed, twirling her dried, bleached hair. A pre-medical student grinned and nodded in agreement after inhaling one last puff from her cigarette. As we waited for the program to start, our group’s chat turned to boys. As usual, Italian men were in the spotlight; we admired their looks and charm. Suddenly, one of the girls turned to me, ‘Wow! So you’re from Kuwait! My roommate loves Kuwaiti guys. She’s actually dating one right now!’ Let’s just say that I was enlightened by the information she disclosed. I wasn’t surprised that aggressive preachers were literally in what they say they’ve never done.
The girls who were administering the event wore black. One of them bounced to our little huddle, unintentionally rubbing her garishly colored eyes as she ushered us into one of the four halls. I started my journey, doubting my participation the whole way through. Then again, it was an experience no matter how out of place I felt.

at 6:16 AM

12 Comments

  1. Blogger Sami posted at 6:28 AM  
    Sorority chicks rock! :p
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 7:34 AM  
    Sami: To be continued... :P
  3. Blogger Trevelyana posted at 7:44 AM  
    hehe.. I wont disclose about my experience.. It'll be interesting to hear how you find it :D I'm dyyying to find out!
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:24 AM  
    Leeno: I hope you're not a sorority girl because my comments are not on the positive side! Cheers :)
  5. Blogger Purgatory posted at 11:23 AM  
    entee mo sa7ya ray7a rush week, you should know better.
  6. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:26 AM  
    Purg: Hey, it's once in a lifetime...I wanted to see what the hype was all about and what actually goes on in their chapter meetings...to be continued :P
  7. Blogger Hopeless Poet posted at 3:57 PM  
    Waiting for 2nd part ;)
  8. Blogger Trevelyana posted at 4:20 PM  
    Erzulie--
    Nope.. at least no longer..
    Got dragged into it much like you did..
    Don't quit yet.. if only to amuse us with the news..
  9. Blogger Erzulie posted at 8:42 PM  
    McArabian: Lol yeah. "Keep your enemies close and your ladies closer" dammit!

    Hopeless: ;P

    Leeno: :)

    Pizzazz: Studying abroad is one of the best things that have ever happened to me. I could write a whole post on it actually! If you have this opportunity to go, do it.
  10. Blogger Erzulie posted at 1:26 AM  
    Tanta: Haha ;P~ And I think he figured out that I know about his little secret...he never looks me in the eye...ahhh, torture is sweet ;)
  11. Blogger Equalizer posted at 3:21 AM  
    I never get the sorority fraternity thing. All I heard was rapes every now and then in the sorority houses and some idiot kid dying because of a fraternity binge.
  12. Blogger Erzulie posted at 5:09 AM  
    Equalizer: Yeah, well you tend to hear the bad more than the good. Those cases DO happen, but it's mostly in state universities, where Greek life is very prominent. My university is pretty small and the Greek life is almost nonexistant, so it wasn't as intimidating or risky to take a sneak peek :)

Post a Comment

« Home