Saturday, June 17, 2006

Movies

I adore the two independent movie theaters in my city. I recently saw the Indian movie Water, written, produced, and directed by Deepa Mehta and starring the beautiful Lisa Ray, the gorgeous John Abraham, the amazing Seema Biswas, and the adorable, incredibly talented actress Sarala.

Synopsis: "Water is the final film in Deepa Mehta’s trilogy on the elements, following Fire (1996) and Earth (1998).In pre-independent India, set against the backdrop of Mahatma Gandhi's rise to power, eight-year old child-bride Chuyia hears of her husband's death. Her father, following custom, exiles her to a widow's ashram where she is meant to live out her days.

Chuyia's feisty presence starts to affect the lives of the other residents, in particular 20-year-old Kalyani (Lisa Ray) 35-year-old Shakuntala (Seema Biswas) and an 80-year-old whose days are waning. Encouraged by Chuyia, Kalyani (who serves as the ashram's breadwinner) breaks tradition and falls for young upper-class Gandhian idealist Narayan (John Abraham), forcing the widows to question their future and faith. Even Chuyia is caught in the wind of change."

I cannot explain this movie. It is so powerful, so heart-wrenching. It is not your typical dancing-in-the-rain-good-cop-bad-cop Indian movie. Not at all. To be honest, I think this is one of the most amazing pieces I have seen. The acting was stupendous. The music (produced by the legendary A.R. Rehman) is pure magic.

My experience? Well, I confidently strode in the theater alone, popcorn and drink at hand. I was so transfixed by the events that I deserted my snacks and sat in my seat, knees up, sniffling and wiping my tears away. I felt weird crying alone but I seriously could not help it. Towards the end, I had tears all the way down to the sides of my neck.

This is such a touching movie. It defines being “A Must See.”

On a lighter note, I saw The Omen. If you are looking for a quick but completely unmemorable fright flick, this will do. Seamus Davey played the six year old Damien. He was a little creepy, but in a I-want-to-kick-you-so-bad kind of way. Throughout the movie, he has this weird smirk that supposed to be scary but you cannot help but giggle. Although it was not terrifying, I did jerk around in my seat a lot.

As always, I had my knees up. In one scene, I jumped in my seat and my knee hit my friend in the head. In another, I shot both legs up in the air. Yes, I am a bit “active” in scary movies. I also pinch, squeeze, and tug whoever is sitting next to me. I wonder how it will work out when I go to the theater with my future hubby. I can see the headline now, “Frantic Moviegoer Claws Husband to Death at a Horror Film.”



PS's....
Lovage - Sex (I'm a)
Ghostland Observatory - Sad Sad City
Thom Yorke - Black Swan
Gershon Kingsely - Hey Hey

at 10:39 AM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger The Krispy Dixie posted at 10:09 AM  
    shawagteeny 3ala hindi flicks!! :D

    This one sounds like a good one too! :)
  2. Blogger Hazolat posted at 8:21 PM  
    Erzulie,

    You're lucky to get to watch movies in the states, where movies are not cencored 3ali Yiswa Wili Ma Yiswa.

    Oo Ma Yamich a7ad Ygoolich "3afya Law sama7tay, Sh'sar Hnee, Fahmeena" :-)

    Great reviews btw :-)
  3. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:23 AM  
    Krispy: It's not good, it's wonderful. And it's not your typical, cheesy Indian movie. A few of my friends are die-hard fans of the Indian films that are shown in Kuwait's theaters. Once, they begged me to go to "Chalte (Fuken') Chalte." I beared the damn thing for an hour before I headed out to sip my coffee until the damn thing ended...

    Hazolat: Heh, true. But the thing is, there is no nudity or sex content in this movie. Although it's possible yet not probable, the movie is kind of...how do you say...well, it wasn't shown in mainstream theaters here so I don't suppose that it'll be in Fanar or something like that...When it comes out on DVD I'm going to send it to my mom :)

Post a Comment

« Home