Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bad Advice & (Some) Girls

Last week, I had a little chat with a colleague of mine about a very girly topic: our hair. While mine is on the lighter end in terms of color, she had a full head of the blackest, most gorgeous waist-length virgin hair I've ever seen. "The thing is, I'm really bored with my hair. I want to dye it." I widened my eyes and blurted out, "Are you nuts?" I grabbed a fistful of my loose hair, "This is what's left of my hair. You cannot imagine how much of it was damaged because of color and highlights. Don't you dare touch yours!"

Apart from destroying her hair, I told her that she doesn't even need to do anything to it, "You have beautiful hair that matches your pale skin and round face! Just this afternoon I was parking and saw a girl walking across the lot with her back turned to me. She had amazing, long, wavy black hair that shined in the sunlight. I remember thinking, 'Wow, she has great hair' and only when I walked into work did I realize it was you! It's like your signature or something! Why would you want to screw around with it?"

She smiled and said, "Well, my (female) cousin keeps on telling me to cut it so it falls right under my chin and I'm wondering if I should do that. She just cut her hair short because it's really thin and not as thick as mine. She's been happy about her new haircut and ever since, she's been goading me to do the same."

I raised an eyebrow and said, "Trust me. Keep it the way it is. Don't think about chopping it off and don't mess around with any serious products because you'll regret it."

I walked away thinking about what she was advised to do. Now, this cousin of hers might actually believe that short hair suits my colleague, maybe. Then again, anyone that has functioning eyes would see and know that my colleague looks so much better with her healthy, long, jet-black hair.

My colleague and her hair isn't the point of this post of mine. The point is that I've come across a few girls and have heard of many others who advise female colleagues, friends and even relatives to wear something (clothes, hair, etc.) that obviously doesn't suit them. I mean, it really doesn't come down to one's taste here. It's just basic common sense i.e. something either looks good or horrible on you. But why do I hear of some girls advising their own kind of the latter?

MP3's...
Shakespears Sister - Stay
Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor!
Will Powers - Kissing with Confidence
Tears for Fears - Advice for the Young at Heart

at 8:30 AM

13 Comments

  1. Blogger Purgatory posted at 9:51 AM  
    usually girls have bad taste, so when they advise others, they mess things up, that is why you have gay designers to help girls.

    As they always say, best cooks in the world are men, so best designers in the world are men.
  2. Blogger Fee posted at 2:52 PM  
    hmmm, i want to dye my hair too :(. But i most likely won't because of my fugalicious thick black eyebrows :(
  3. Blogger eshda3wa posted at 6:28 PM  
    so they look better by making someone else look worse

    girls .
  4. Blogger Unknown posted at 11:25 AM  
    hate hate hate...
  5. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:42 PM  
    purg: can you be more off-topic? and the best cooks are fat cooks. and best designers? men? i don't know about that but i've found out that men hairstylists actually do a better job in general...

    fee: when i read your comment, my first reaction was "no." first of all, it's really rare for girls nowadays to have virgin hair. if i were you, i'd stick to my roots, literally! continue caring for your hair, feed and nurture it so it looks healthy. there are a lot of women with amazing hair but when you feel it, it's as if you're touching a handful of hay i.e. not so sexy. IF *said in a high-pitched tone* you're going bonkers with boredom over your hair, i would suggest a few lowlights but nothing more than that my beautiful Fee. if you're thinking of doing that, they should look natural and sunkissed. but again, i'd have to think about that...i'll let you know :P~

    eshda3wa: i know that, good ol' jealousy, but to that extent? now i've experienced the opposite i.e. women i've never met suggesting i wear something in another size or color, etc. but then, you have women that are so blunt about killing an idea that looks great on you! and what really angers me is that some women are very closely related, case in point my colleague.

    bodie: yeah yeah yeah...oh btw, i might awa9eek 3ala shay before you return to kuwait...laters...
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:29 PM  
    I think it takes a little bit of time and gut feeling to figure out who's sincere and who isn't.
  7. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:53 AM  
    miss informed: i don't think time or the the amount of take is as impactful and one's gut feeling. you can't escape the latter; it's instantaneous.
  8. Blogger Temetwir posted at 2:33 PM  
    madre.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, aw bela7ra lena her cousin hailegeya?

    anyway tara as much as i 'dont mind' reading abt ur convs with colleagues, or series describing ur job hunt adventures.. i think its time u got ur act together and posted some of ur drawings again, not that u asked but its long overdue imho.
    oh, and "please?"
  9. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:07 AM  
    God Erzulie, you're such a girl :-P

    Loved that one .. keep posting.
  10. Blogger Ginger posted at 6:10 PM  
    What looks good and doesn't isn't as simple as black and white, there's a lot of gray involved and subjective mirrors.
  11. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:21 PM  
    Sometimes, people just mean to be helpful or want to seem knowledgeable about fashion in their own little way, because it makes them feel useful or like they have contributed productively with their little bit of ligafa. Like they have personalized their interaction with you in paying such attention to your details. All you have to do is smile gently at them.

    I am the one who decides what is good for me and what isn't when it comes to how I look after all.

    Which brings me to what the main point of your post was for silly old me. And that is the fact that pathetically enough, I am a female and leonine version of Samson. My power comes from my long hair. I am lost without my long hair. I do not feel like myself unless it is long and hanging down my back or shoulders to some level. I had it boy short once and that was fun, but I wont ever do it again no sirreee bob I will not, not, not! My long hair is here to stay.

    hehe your entrancing word verification word today is "gnarl"
  12. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:36 AM  
    Girls are girls!!
    They won't stop poking thier noses trust me!!

    Long and thick hair is a waste to be cut!
  13. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:03 PM  
    ginger: true, but you should see the hair on her. i mean, i am not one to notice these things but have you ever come across any shampoo TV ad that always has a bunch of chicks with digitally beautified hair? well, my colleague's hair is exactly the same and i'm not even exaggerating.

    ms.baker: lol at the word verification! :P and you know what, i am not surprised at how you're fond of your hair because that's one of the first things i noticed about you! *knocks on wood* keep it that way; not only does it suit you, it IS you i.e. beautiful :)

    sweetheart: it's not about poking one's nose in someone else's biz. it's just stale advice. why? hmph...

Post a Comment

« Home