Sunday, November 16, 2008

Erzulie Lands a New Job – Part Three

"Do you think good looking people get more breaks than ordinary looking ones?" I mulled over my friend's question and thought about the breaks that came my way when I was a student in the US like the speeding tickets I dodged by putting on a fake accent and guiltless, puppy dog eyes; my doorman who used to hide two, mouth-watering chocolate chip cookies for me on Thursdays, the day where my apartment building bakes for the sake of its residents' tummies; that gorgeous, handmade Bolivian Alpaca sweater that was forked over to me in the State Fair; sandwiches, dessert and coffee that were "on the house"; free cab rides, entrances, music and backstage tickets.

By no means am I trying to be big-headed about this in any manner; I'm no I'm Elle Macpherson but I do have to thank my parents for passing along the better side of their genes. But based on the previous freebies, I would say yes, lookers do get more breaks than the fuglies in this cursed world of ours.

However, in the professional world, one's looks might work against them and especially if the individual is a girl. In my case, I know that one of the first reactions people get when they see me is that I'm a daft, possibly stuck-up bimbo who doesn't know the difference between her ass and her elbow. For instance, during one of the first interviews I've had at an established financial institution since my return to Kuwait, I experienced my first case of the glass ceiling when I frankly told my interviewer, the main man behind one of the major departments, that it wouldn't be beneficial for me or the bank if I worked at a branch instead of the head office. "I know what you mean," he replied, "But you're a pretty girl and in a year, you'll be married. We try our best to invest in people who actually stay longer than that." I just remember staring blankly at his face thinking, "Why you mother…"

First of all, it's been a goddamn year. Secondly, the medieval dimwit might've sensed that I'm not like one of the seven girls that were accepted into the unnecessary rotation of meeting all of the institution's heads based on my good grades, the fact that I've graduated early, the handful of recommendations I have and much more pluses, all of which doesn't amount to shit in this country. In a way, though, I do see where he was coming from in a business and sexually infested manner i.e. sex sells. Just stick a hot piece of ass in a branch and watch potential customers slobber all over her. I suppose that all the six girls are now working (it?) at the hawt branches in the country with their cutesy outfits and catty glances.

Speaking of financial institutions, I came across a lot of vacancies online posted by banks and investment companies in Kuwait. Although a corporately stiff atmosphere where people walk around with sticks up their asses is not my cup of tea, I needed a change. Unfortunately, almost all positions had the following requirement, "Gender: Male applicants only."

The only thing that was left for me to think about was, "Do I have to draw in a mustache, cram a few rolled up socks down my pants, speak hoarsely and walk with my feet apart to get a job around here?"

I was close to cutting up my graduation certificate and turning it into a sweet, strapless number. That is the whole point behind an educated woman, isn't it?

To be continued…

MP3's..
Little Boots - Stuck on Repeat (Fake Blood Remix)
Ce Ce Peniston - Finally (Kam Denny & Paula Zala Remix)
Primary1 - Hold Me Down (Foamo Remix)
Jape - Floating (Prins Thomas Remix)
Cut Copy - Lights & Music (Moulinex Remix)
Kaskade Ft. Deadmau5 - Move for Me (Santiago & Bushid)
Namito & Martin Eyerer - Quipa (Etienne De Crecy Remix)
Stereoheroes - Washout
Clazziquai - Prayers (Shinichi Osawa Remix)
Larry Tee - I Love You (Bulgarian Remix)
Piero Piccioni - Psychedelic Mood

at 8:30 AM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger Shurouq posted at 9:24 AM  
    Erzulie, I look younger than my real age (not in a good way) and needless to say, I am short.
    In the professional world, short people are hardly taken seriously :/
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 6:03 PM  
    shurouq: well, i don't think the short issue is significant in your case since the majority of kuwaitis are under 5'6. however, i do think, or actually, know that you're gorgeous (!) so that might be a bigger hindrance for you lil shurouq :)

    purgatory: i didn't publish your comment for your own sake. my mom thinks you're a nice, decent guy. let's keep it that way ;)
  3. Blogger Temetwir posted at 6:38 PM  
    IN for pics

    seriously though, looks only go so far .. first impressions? 7ada, totally.. but looks wont get u out of trouble as much as u make it seem they get u into it

    at least thats how it works for me, o i think u know it has A LOT to do with my job
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:53 PM  
    Sigh. It's not just the business sector, it's in others as well. I am asked to be the "PR" and "ambassadorial" gal most of the time at my workplace. Plus I get the added dubious freebie of having interesting bits of creative gossip made up about me CONSTANTLY by overly imaginative folks who have no idea how boring I am in reality, that my idea of bliss is my big puffy bed, PJ's, Macbook Pro, my book, a box of Leonida's chocolates and a tall cup of milky coffee. My latest "hello, piece of meat" experience at work took place this morning at the hands of two grown men - one far too young and subordinate (what is it with guys who are much too young going after older and stronger women these days? Begone with thee, O cute but wee one!) and another a lot older, far more established, handsome and powerful professionally, but far too arrogant and confident that I would be up for a little fun and regard the ogling of my hind and chestal regions as complimentary and exciting...(PERV!). My stand-offish, cool, and curt defenses in such situations have had me labelled "ice-queen" and "intimidating" more times than I care to remember... I don't even know where to start to explain how offensive and depressing the whole thing is, and how lacking my coping skills are in dealing with it emotionally even as a fully grown adult and at my level of professional experience. The whole thing has always made me very uncomfortable and always will. I just don't have any good way of dealing with it and do not even know how to begin to understand how to deviously use such things to my advantage. Which may explain a lot about me in many, many respects and explain why I have stupidly gotten myself into such dumbass messes in the first place in the past.

    Smack in the face No. 1: It doesn't matter what your credentials are in the Kuwaiti workforce. We come back from our excellent academic backgrounds, scholarships and stints as cute and free-spirited students abroad, with our shiny resumes glitteringly littered with the names of amazing academic institutions and programs, only to be unceremoniously dumped and lumped along with everyone else (most with far inferior experience and credentials) in a battle for the survival of the most insipid, devious, obsequious, cunning, and schmoozy to get ahead.

    And for the record, yes you ARE an Elle Macpherson sweetie, you really are mashallah :*
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:03 PM  
    Just to clarify: I don't think the situation I just described is one limited just to attractive girls in the workplace, but is applicable to any woman who has to live and survive in a place where superficiality, contrived glamour, sexual manipulation and gender discrimination, as well as duplicity are the name of the game (as they are in our country in most professional places).
  6. Blogger Fee posted at 11:56 PM  
    Erzulie, you should REALLY REALLY thank your parents for that face of yours! FO REAL!
  7. Blogger Erzulie posted at 11:25 PM  
    temetwir: i do know :P~

    ms.baker: yeah, i mean, you act civil and then you're told that you're a flirt but then you switch over to that diplomatic, slightly distant way and you're called an ice queen if not worse. what gives? and ms.baker, i could...you know what, i'd rather save what i want to say to you when i see you because i don't want it to offend anyone, but it is about academic credentials, if you want to call it that. it's the first time i faced such a thing. and about your clincher, well, i'm flattered but now i know that you left your glasses in your car when i saw you ;P~

    fee: ummm, look who's talking? where do i begin and where do i end my drop dead gorgeous beautiful fee? oh where oh where oh where...crap, i feel a giggle coming on...no wait, it's a goofy laugh :/ you're contagious my fee!
  8. Blogger f7ee7eely posted at 3:11 PM  
    Walk with my feet apart she said?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

    LOL@shurouq
  9. Blogger bored posted at 4:49 PM  
    mo khoosh shay, adre lana 7ata ana 7ayishni nafs el shay bs 7ag asbab thaniya, ana bl dawam ya36oni shighil aqal mn ghairi lani kuwaiti ga3id ashtighil eb sharika mafeeha wayid kuwaitiyeen, o mit3awdeen ena 7ata lkuwaitiyeen ele yishtaghloon hnak may6awloon akthar mn sina aw sina o ni9 o yistiqeelon, bs khali hatha ya36eech dafi3 ena tathbiteelohom qodratich ;p
  10. Blogger Erzulie posted at 4:32 PM  
    bored: kint ib nafs mokanik (il wa7eeda il kwaitiya) oo shta'3alt shi'3el il yahad 3alashan, 3ala goltik, "awareehom" eni moo mithil stereotype il kwaitiyeen ilee bes yaboon il sahala wil sowalif. 3ogob kilshay, shift ena ma siwat 3alai ga3da bil dawam leil 9-11 bilail oo emjabla iwyoohom bil weekends. it was an experience of course oo moo nadmana kilish (a9lan il3aks) bes 3araft ina fee nas moo kafoo enik itshid 3ala nafsik oo tijtihid 3alashanhom.
  11. Blogger earnpaisa posted at 12:57 PM  
    nice blog yes short makes no sense http://lenajasminee.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

« Home