Friday, October 21, 2005

The Sorority: Part Deux

Four halls. Four sororities. Four cheesy themes. One of them had a skit that made the bubbly audience giggle. Another had a choreographed dance to Destiny Child’s ‘Soldier,’ and they managed to squeeze in the sorority’s name in the lyrics. One of them caught me off guard; the members gathered us in a wide circle in the dimly lit hall. We were all holding candles as the girls chanted a damn good song. It was quite touching; the girls comforted some long-time sisters as they whimpered loudly in the corner, making everyone’s sympathetic eyes flit towards them every now and then. Every sorority had the same procedure though; you walk in and get whisked away by someone who ends up talking to you the whole time while creepily holding your hands, admiringly stroking your hair, trying their best to display a care behind their unnaturally wide smile. After the night was over, I joined my accelerated group again. The girls were bursting with enthusiasm, eager to adopt a new family.
‘So do you know what sorority you want to be in?’ the perky blonde asked me.
‘Umm…I don’t know yet. I’m still thinking about the whole thing,’ I replied wistfully.
And I actually was. Why not? The same question popped in my head. It’s not a huge university and the girls seem pretty friendly. And what’s wrong with forced friendships anyway? The only real plus side I saw was having access to old exams. But still, why not? The last day of rush week was tomorrow, a slow Sunday night, an excuse to dress up again. We were instructed to return tomorrow, grab a shirt that has the sorority’s Greek letters on them, and wear it under our hoodies. We were also told to stand in a tight circle, with the four sororities at each corner of the larger hall. One by one, we would take off our jackets and reveal the sorority we chose to be in. I actually wondered…should I?

at 5:44 AM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger Sami posted at 9:06 AM  
    Sounds like a lesbian cult to me..I still dig it.
  2. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:22 AM  
    Sami: Loool :P Dig what in particular...Greek life?
  3. Blogger Sami posted at 11:59 AM  
    uh..I don't know..just wanted to say that.
  4. Blogger Erzulie posted at 12:06 PM  
    Sami: :)
  5. Blogger Purgatory posted at 1:14 PM  
    ana mo gaylech yozay
  6. Blogger Closet Diva posted at 3:38 PM  
    I joined a sorrority in college! It was a lot of work, it took a lot of my time, and I thought a lot about depledging..but in the end, it was a nice experience (especially my sorrority, others are not as good hehh)
    Erz, if you choose the right one, it can be a network for life, not just friendships in college :)
  7. Blogger Erzulie posted at 9:18 PM  
    Purgatory: Heeh! To be continued...

    Commercial Delight: What fits for you would be uncomfy for others. Wait and see and I'm glad you had fun in yours :)
  8. Blogger Sou posted at 11:56 PM  
    I can't wait for Part Trois!! ;)
  9. Blogger Hopeless Poet posted at 2:46 AM  
    From my experience in watching movies, I say no :P
  10. Blogger Equalizer posted at 4:38 AM  
    interesting and weird!
  11. Blogger Erzulie posted at 10:39 PM  
    Sou: :)

    Hopeless Poet: Movies are fiction.

    Equalizer: :))

    McArabian: Yup :)

    Bader: Hmmm...

Post a Comment

« Home